Monday, April 26, 2010

Alberta - Fort McMurray Oil rig / pipeline work advice...?

I am 28 years old and heading out to Medicine Hat in a few weeks with the intention of looking for companies to work for in Northern Alberta.





I have heard many different opinions on work prospects and job availability in Fort McMurray, and would be grateful for any info or advice regarding my situation.





I have a high school diploma with only a few months of university, since then I have had factory jobs with Kodak (forklift, dockwork, production, etc) for 4 years, worked in office sales / order desk for lumber company for 1-1/2 years, and have been a contract installer of stadium/arena seating for 2 years. While experienced in several aspects of basic construction, I have no actual certificates of any kind beyond various forklifts / first aid / hazardous goods certificates required at most factories. I have my own truck and G2 Ontario license (full G in Sept.)





What advice do you have for me in finding decent paying work in ANY conditions (outdoors / heavy lifting) in Alberta?Alberta - Fort McMurray Oil rig / pipeline work advice...?
If you want to work on a drilling rig head to Nisku as this is where all the drilling contractors do their hireing out of. You might want to hurry as there is a. slight slowdown in the industry and ';break up'; hits at the end of march. I have been in the drilling end for 18 years and it is good if your in it for the long haul. Take care and good luckAlberta - Fort McMurray Oil rig / pipeline work advice...?
Good luck with finding work - finding at least a labourer job should be easy, but the biggest problem in Ft. McMurray is accommodation. It is terribly expensive, but worse that that, it seems to be non-existent.
Head to this link.


http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro_en.aspx


search for ';oil labourer';


I have been doing some research on Alberta also. I recently saw an oil labourer job post at $8000 per month in Fort McMurray. Most of these job will train you. There is also work in Grand Praire. I take it you are already in canada, u lucky. I'm down southeast America hoping to get to Alberta to get some cash also.Since you are willing to work hard, I'm sure u can find something at least $4000 monthly not counting overtime. My bro-in-law just got to alberta from the caribbean and got a ';do nothing, scratching job'; at walmart they pay $13/hour. You already have good qualification you'll just need H2S alive certificate.
Finding work should be quite easy, you have some good qualifications, but your drivers license part is not good, a d-z would be alot more attractive to potential employers, I hope every thing works out for you, but REMEMBER,places to stay are hard to find and very expensive, try to do some more research , eg, employment Canada , job applications on line, accommodations, go prepared, not walking in blind, hope you make it bro, good luck.......
  • lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment